DJJ Office of the Ombudsman



Q. While my child is detained at the RYDC, can the work he/she completes while detained be transferred to his/her home school once he/she is released from the RYDC?

Yes. As Georgia's 181st school district, we offer youth in our custody the opportunity to earn a high school diploma from a system accredited by both the Souther Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) and Correctional Education Association (CEA).

Q. My child has been diagnosed with depression. My child has been prescribed medication. While he/she is in detention, will he/she be able to receive his/her meds, and do they have doctors that can handle his/her behavioral health needs?

Yes. All the detention facilities have a behavioral health program. From the moment a youth enters a detention center, the process for assessing their mental health needs begins. Your child will be evaluated by a masters-level mental health clinician and by a psychiatrist and you will be contacted to discuss your child's medications.

Q. Does the youth have a right to religious services?

Yes. Youth’s attendance in religious services within facilities are voluntary. The DJJ employs a full-time non-denominational chaplain.

Q. Will my child’s juvenile record be sealed?

Yes. The youth's juvenile record may be sealed. Once the youth's case has been closed, he/she will need to demonstrate during a period of two years behavior without any further law violations or pending proceedings against them for conviction or adjudication in order for the youth to be deemed rehabilitated. At this time of rehabiltation, the youth may petition the juvenile court to seal their record.